Derek Jeter was MLB's top-selling jersey in '11
Gear. If you’re a fan of baseball, you’ve got some. A cap… a jersey. You’ve probably got one or both.
But, when you think about being a fan and your favorite active player, owning a jersey is to show you’re elegance.
Today, MLB and the MLBPA released info on jersey sales for last year with 4 of the top 20 jerseys by sales numbers coming from the Yankees, Jeter, A-Rod, Cano, and Rivera).
Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees, Cliff Lee of the Philadelphia Phillies and Albert Pujols of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim top the list of MLB Most Popular Jerseys based on sales of official Majestic jerseys for the 2011 calendar year.
Seven players – Robinson Cano, Carl Crawford, David Freese, Adrian Gonzalez, Hunter Pence, Mariano Rivera and Justin Verlander – who did not make last year’s list cracked the top 20 this time around. Players representing 11 different MLB Clubs make up the list of top 20 most popular jerseys, with seven different clubs in the top ten. In addition, 12 of the top 20 players are under the age of 30. The Phillies and Yankees, the teams with the two best records last season, each have four players in the top 20. The top 20 include nine infielders, five pitchers, four outfielders and two catchers. Of the top 20, 12 were All-Stars in 2011 and 14 played on teams that reached the Postseason.
MLB Most Popular Jerseys
Based on Majestic 2011 sales figures
1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Cliff Lee, Philadelphia Phillies
3. *Albert Pujols, LA Angels of Anaheim
4. Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
5. Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies
6. Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
7. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
8. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
9. *Hunter Pence, Philadelphia Phillies
10. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
11. Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies
12. Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins
13. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
14. Adrian Gonzalez, Boston Red Sox
15. Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
16. Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
17. Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
18. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
19. Carl Crawford, Boston Red Sox
20. David Freese, St. Louis Cardinals
Source: MLB, MLBPA
Click to donate
to Autism Speaks
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He writes for Baseball Prospectus and is a contributor to Forbes SportsMoney blog.. He is available as a freelance writer. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network (select his name in the dropdown provided).
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
Follow The Biz of Baseball on Twitter
Follow the Business of Sports Network on Facebook