Written by Maury Brown
Friday, 26 August 2011 12:01
Following the tragic news late Weds, the Orioles today announced their plans to honor Orioles Hall of Fame pitcher, coach, executive and MASN broadcaster Mike Flanagan, who passed away on Wednesday.
- Beginning with tonightâs game against the New York Yankees, Orioles uniformed personnel will wear a black circular patch with âFLANNYâ written in white on their right jersey sleeves for the remainder of the 2011 season.
- A black banner with the number â46â in orange has been installed just above the press box and below the booth where Flanagan sat as a member of the MASN broadcast team.
- Prior to tonightâs game, the club will have a moment of silence in Flanaganâs memory, and his uniform number 46 will be posted on the out-of-town scoreboard in right field from the time the gates open through the conclusion of the game.
- A video tribute will be played on the Oriole Park video board at the completion of the first inning of the game.
- The Orioles flag on the right field flag court at Camden Yards will be flown at half staff for each of the remaining home games this season.
- The Orioles have set up a virtual guestbook at www.oriolesguestbook.mlblogs.com or at www.orioles.com/flanny and invite fans to share their condolences and memories of Flanagan.
Source: Baltimore Orioles
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey, and is a contributor to Forbes SportsMoney blog.. He is available as a freelance writer. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network (select his name in the dropdown provided).
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
Follow The Biz of Baseball on Twitter
Follow the Business of Sports Network on Facebook