MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) was honored with the 2010 Best in Digital Sports Media Award by the SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily. The award was presented live at a special ceremony held Thursday, May 20th at the New York Marriott Marquis at Times Square.
MLB Advanced Media was recognized as part of the Sports Business Awards program, presented by Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily, the two leading publications on the business of sports. The Sports Business Awards recognize excellence and outstanding achievement in the sports industry for 2009.
MLB Advanced Media was chosen from five nominees for Best in Digital Sports Media, including, in alphabetical order, CBS Sports – March Madness on Demand, ESPN Digital Media, National Hockey League and Turner.
Improvements to its mobile apps, including being granted a U.S. patent for its geotargeting technology, the start of in-market streaming and growth of its paid content subscriptions, capped an outstanding year for MLB Advanced Media. The company has also added the digital business for several other properties including the YES Network, Ripken Baseball and Major League Soccer.
Awards were presented in 15 categories. “We are pleased to recognize the achievement of the leaders in the sports industry with our third annual Sports Business Awards,” says Richard Weiss , publisher of the SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily. “The winners and nominees being honored tonight represent the individuals, companies, agencies and media at the forefront of the sports industry.”
The winners, which were chosen from 71 nominees, included:
- Sports Executive of the Year – Jerry Jones, Owner, Dallas Cowboys
- Athletic Director of the Year – Gene Smith, Ohio State University
- Professional Sports Team of the Year – Seattle Sounders
- Professional Sports League of the Year – National Football League
- Sports Event of the Year – Super Bowl XLIV
- Best in Sports Media – ESPN
- Best in Sports Television – CBS Sports
- Best in Digital Sports Media – MLB Advanced Media
- Best in Talent Representation and Management – CAA Sports
- Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services – IMG
- Best in Property Consulting, Sales and Client Services – Premier Partnerships
- Sports Event Marketing Firm of the Year – Vivid Marketing
- Sports Sponsor of the Year – Visa
- Sports Facility of the Year – Cowboys Stadium
- Best in Sports Technology – Mitsubishi Electric – Diamond Vision
Source: Street and Smith's SportsBusiness Daily, SportsBusiness Journal
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey, as well as a contributor to Forbes SportsMoney blog. He is available for hire or freelance. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
Follow The Biz of Baseball on Twitter
Follow the Business of Sports Network on Facebook