Home Minor League News Five Minor League Players Suspended for PEDs, All from Dominican Summer League

Like Shoot to Thrill - An AC/DC Tribute on Facebook!

An authentic tribute of AC/DC that covers the best of the Bon Scott era and the best of Brian Johnson's material

Who's Online?

We have 621 guests online

Atom RSS

Five Minor League Players Suspended for PEDs, All from Dominican Summer League PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 2
PoorBest 
Written by Maury Brown   
Thursday, 16 July 2009 21:30

PEDs in BaseballThe Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that five Minor League players have received 50-game suspensions after each tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

  • Pitcher Alexis Juma of the Oakland Athletics organization (Dominican Summer League) has been suspended after testing positive for a metabolite of Boldenone.
  • Pitcher Renedin Mesa of the Los Angeles Angels organization (Dominican Summer League) has been suspended after testing positive for a metabolite of Boldenone.
  • Pitcher Alex Nolasco of the Athletics organization (Dominican Summer League) has been suspended after testing positive for a metabolite of Boldenone.
  • Pitcher Joan Pascual of the Philadelphia Phillies organization (Dominican Summer League) has been suspended after testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol.
  • Outfielder Jose Trinidad of the Phillies organization (Dominican Summer League) has been suspended after testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol.

All the suspensions are effective immediately.

With the five Dominican Summer League players, the total number of drug related suspensions for the year at the minor league level is 28, four-times the number of players suspended under the minor league drug policy last year at this time when the total was 7.

As the five players suspended Thursday outlines, the reason for the increase involves suspensions from the Dominican Summer League, as well as the Venezuelan Summer League over the course of the season. Currently, the Dominican Summer League accounts for 6 suspensions (21 percent of the total) while the Venezuelan Summer League sees 5 suspensions (18 percent of the total). All told, 39 percent of the minor league drug related suspensions are attributed to the DSL and VSL.

While the increase from last year to this is substantial, it is due, in part, to international politics.

According to the league, last season, the Dominican Republic did not allow the public release of players suspended within the Dominican Summer League until after the All-Star break. From that point forward, there were near daily announcements of drug related suspensions.

(See a graphical representation of drug suspensions in baseball last season)

When adding in the four suspensions at the major league level, there have been a total of 32 suspensions accounting for 1,700 games.

SEE THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF DRUG SUSPENSIONS IN MAJOR AND MINOR LEAGE BASEBALL


Maury   BrownMaury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is contributor to Baseball Prospectus, and is available as a freelance writer. Brown's full bio is here. He looks forward to your comments via email and can be contacted through the Business of Sports Network (select his name in the dropdown provided).

Don't forget to register and log in on The Biz of Baseball site to get updates via your in-box, and see information only logged in members can see.

Follow Maury Brown and the Business of Sports Network on Twitter Twitter

Subscribe //

 
 
Banner

Poll

Should MLB Force Jeffery Loria to Sell the Marlins?