Written by Maury Brown
Tuesday, 25 November 2008 12:48
With the Florida Marlins locked in a legal battle that appears to have been resolved as of this week, the planned date for opening their new $515 million stadium at the current site of the Orange Bowl in Little Havana will have to wait a bit longer.
Marlins president David Samson announced today that due to the legal wranglings with South Florida auto dealer Norman Braman, the project will now have a 2012 completion date. As reported by MLB.com:
Even though the Marlins won all seven counts in the lawsuit, which was concluded last week, what was lost was time to get the building completed by the initial target date.
Samson makes it clear that the one-year setback in no way threatens the stadium from being built. The cost for the 37,000-seat, retractable-roof park at the Orange Bowl grounds will also remain the same -- at $515 million.
"This is because of Braman," Samson told MLB.com. "It's not because of the economy. It's not because of any issues with the [final] documents. It's not because of any of that. We are on schedule [for 2012], and everything is going to be fine."
Braman has said he would appeal the ruling set forth last week.
The Marlins and HOK plan on releasing updated renderings of the designs of the new facility (see the last renderings released) in a couple of weeks.
To have the facility ready by the 2012 Opening Day, the Marlins say that the groundbreaking would have to occur no later than May 2009.